Saturday, October 21, 2006

Heroes

I'm sure we all have people we look up to in our lives. When I was young, my hero was Michael Jordan because I loved basketball and he was very good at it. When we think about heroes, we think about people who are powerful, someone who can stand up and save the day. Some friends have told me that there is a new TV show now in America called "Heroes" and it's about these so called "ordinary" people having special powers. This is a typical image an a hero from our perspective.

Jesus is another hero of mine, but not only is he a hero because of his greatness, but because he actually played a part in my life to take me where I am now. The Jews were expecting a Messiah to come and free them from the Roman empire, so they pictured someone big and strong. However God had other ideas. Throughout the bible God tends to use people who are weak, because when we are weak, God is made strong in us.

"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10

Jesus came and no one could believe that He was the Saviour of Mankind. Who could believe it when He ended up submitting to the Roman authority and dying in the most shameful way. How could a hero end up dying, it doesn't make sense.

Although Jesus died after 3 days, He rose from the dead to claim His victory. God works in wonderful ways, sometimes we just don't understand until the plan is complete. Jesus is the ultimate hero, because He has conquered death itself. No other person on this earth I know can do what Jesus did, not Buddha, not Mohammed, or anyone else who claims that they have the "truth". For the only truth comes from Jesus.

"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." - John 14:6

So who is your hero?

No comments: