Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Family or career

I was supposed to post this yesterday but anyway...

My friends (mostly girls) and I were having a discussion on whether we should pursue a PhD/Career or be able to stay home to nurture the kids. The dilemma faced by one of my friends was that she wanted to be a relatively young mum (i.e. no more than 25 yrs). The problem is that she would also like to pursue a PhD which means she won't finish until she's around 26.

The problem is that if she does decide to pursue a PhD then she will have to hold off getting a kid until later (which she doesn't want to do). However if she decides to have the kid then she won't be able to pursue a PhD/Career, because she wants to be able to look after the kid herself until at least the kid has grown up.

What would you do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

adopt!.. lol

nah, that aside, its never too late to do a PHD.. or have a kid for that matter..

Victor said...

The argument for being a "young mum" was that there wasn't such a big generation gap between the child and parent.

Anyway as for me I think both of you are right. There's no such thing as too late, but also you need to be prepared.